As authors, we are in business.
Just like any business we should determine the ROI for every minute and every dollar we invest.
ROI = Return on Investment.
You might be thinking—okay, Tom, I get the every dollar, but, really, every minute?
Look at time this way—every week we all start out with 10,080 minutes in our time bank.
Time is different than money—we can’t save it.
We talk about saving time, but we can’t—not really. No matter what we do—at the end of the week, every single minute has been spent. We end up with zero minutes left. Our accounts are totally depleted.
Time is our most valuable asset, yet we spend 100% of it every day.
Sometimes the minutes pass by very fast and sometimes they pass by slowly. They really pass by at the same speed, but it is our perception that makes it feel there is a difference.
If we enjoy what we are doing—fast; if we don’t like what we are doing—slow.
It is important that we plan our activities for the day and week. Just as we should plan how we
are going to spend our money. Develop a budget. I know! I know! BUT—if we don’t budget our time and
money, we spend it spontaneously, perhaps recklessly, and we may regret many of our choices.
I was a financial planner for eleven years. Would you like to know how I made most of my money? Selling investments? No! Helping people move out from under the pressure and stress of debt? Yes!
It was very sad to see:
- How much time people spent earning money.
- How many things they purchased using credit—spending money they had yet to earn.
- How much more time they spent working to earn the money to pay back what they spent—plus interest.
- How much time they spent worrying and fretting over their debt.
- How excited they got over the small amount of money they received in a garage sale getting rid of the items they bought.
One has to ask—wouldn’t it be a better investment to purchase what we want at a garage sale since that’s where a lot of our items are going to end up anyway?
Some things? Yes.
What does this have to do with marketing strategies?
Follow my blog and I’ll help you answer that question!
Change something today to make your tomorrow better.
Literary Strategist, LLC
- Book Marketing Strategies for Authors/Writers
- Tom Blubaugh’s Author Marketing Strategies
- Tom’s books
- Tom’s ministry
- Tom’s Christian Home Store
- Tom’s services