Approximately 30 years ago, most people would never consider using video to communicate with potential clients or customers. It was too expensive and print media was the only way to go. In the 21st Century that is no longer the case. With the introduction of the Smart Phone and the revolutionary evolution of the video camera, anyone can create a video and they should. It’s one of the most popular modes of communication in the world. Ask anyone who uses YouTube.
YouTube, the popular video-sharing website, gives the average everyday person a platform for celebrity. It is ten years old and still going strong.
DMR stated the following stats about YouTube:
- 1 billion people use YouTube
- It’s estimated revenue is $4 Billion
- 6 billion hours of video is watched per month on YouTube
- 300 hours of new videos are uploaded to YouTube every minute
- There are 1 billion YouTube mobile video views per day
- 323 days’ worth of YouTube videos are viewed on Facebook every minute.
So video is as American as apple pie in the social media culture and according to these stats it’s here to stay. So why not use it as a medium to leverage your book and its message to the world.
Here’s a few ways to use video to build your author platform.
- Videos create an instant connection with your audience. They are as close as your IPhone, tablet or laptop.
- Videos make you an instant celebrity. Stardom is more accessible, so if you’ve got an on-screen personality then utilize it to promote your book.
- Book trailers (videos) drive traffic to your website and increase sales. Animoto, a cloud-based video creation service is a great place to get started.
- Using technology such as the new streaming platform Periscope makes you an instantaneous video rock star and puts you above the rest of the crowd.
If you are an author, using video can establish a worldwide presence for your book and firmly establish your author platform. Try it, you might just like it!
Change something today to make your tomorrow better.
Literary Strategist, LLC
- Book Marketing Strategies for Authors/Writers
- Tom Blubaugh’s Author Marketing Strategies
- Tom’s books
- Tom’s ministry
- Tom’s Christian Home Store
- Tom’s services
1 Smith, C. (2014, April 23). 120 Amazing YouTube Statistics. Retrieved August 21, 2015.