It seems this is the attitude of many authors:
- They have a dream, goal, and vision to write a book.
- They spend one to five years or more accomplishing this.
- They look for a traditional publisher.
Why does it seem to be so important to find a traditional publisher?
In my opinion–one of two reasons or both:
- They expect the publisher to cover the costs of editing, formatting, publishing, and distributing their book
- They want to enjoy the perceived limelight of being a traditionally published author.
Surely they don’t think the publisher is willing to invest solely because they, the author, have written an exceptional book—or do they?
The publisher is operating a business that has a payroll, expenses, and pays taxes. They have an obligation to publish manuscripts that will bring profit into the business. They are very selective.
- This is why it takes so long to get a response.
- This is why there are so many rejections.
Authors seem to have a misconception about publishers.
It’s not about the book—it’s about the selling of the book.
Is it the same with you?
Do you feel a resistance toward this? You have invested your time and energy in writing your book.
Do you believe:
- Your part is finished?
- You have invested all you need to invest?
- Now it is up to someone who has no emotional investment in your book to come up with the money to get it into the hands of readers—no matter what?
If you do, you’ll be disappointed.
It isn’t going to happen!
If you aren’t willing to invest money in the marketing of your own book, what does this say? Does it say you don’t believe enough in what you have written to invest in it?
- You cannot expect others to be willing to invest more in your success than you are.
- You cannot expect others to want success more for you than you want it for yourself.
Change something today to make your tomorrow better.
Literary Strategist, LLC
- Book Marketing Strategies for Authors/Writers
- Tom Blubaugh’s Author Marketing Strategies
- Tom’s books
- Tom’s ministry
- Tom’s Christian Home Store
- Tom’s services